Member Sign-in

Exclusive service area for local authorities, bureaux and voluntary agencies.

Forgotten your username or password? e-mail us

National Homeless Advice Service

Getting partners involved

Agencies, whose purpose it is to help young people to move on into the private rented sector, can focus their energies on building relationships with landlords (and employers) who are willing to offer accommodation to young tenants.

Local housing authorities can support the service by:

  • utilising Discretionary Housing Payments (subject to the limitations on the use of these in the longer term)
  • acting as guarantors to suitable 16 and 17 year old tenants and providing bonds to older young people
  • reviewing the local choice-based lettings scheme to ensure that there is opportunity for eligible young people who need social housing (and their support provider) to gain access to the process when they need it and that the system is suitably responsive to their needs
  • focusing housing advice, early intervention and preventative work to manage the expectations of young people and their families about realistic longer term housing options
  • working with PRS agencies or supported lodgings providers to extend the use of PRS lodgings as a means of discharging a homelessness duty towards 16 and 17 year olds
  • aligning the work of the authority‚Äôs private sector housing team with the need to ensure that there is safe housing in the private sector to meet a growing demand from young people.

Supporting People teams can extend floating support or other support contracts to provide a post-tenancy support service for a limited period to young tenants and can make this accessible to young people in their own accommodation through a central support and accommodation gateway. Local social landlords can support the strategy through their approach to managing introductory tenancies for young people and the input of tenancy sustainment support.

Sub Menu