Member Sign-in

Please note this login gives you access to resources on this website only. If you want to book training, please log onto the training portal here.

Forgotten your username or password? e-mail us

National Homeless Advice Service

Eligibility for assistance

Upon receiving a homelessness application, a housing authority first investigates the immigration status and habitual residence of the applicant in order to determine whether they are eligible for homelessness assistance.

Some young people are ineligible for homelessness assistance under Part 7 of the Housing Act 1996 because of their immigration status or because they do not have a right to reside in the UK.

In order to determine the immigration status of an applicant, the housing authority can request information from the Home Office.

The rules about eligibility are complex. Young people disputing the housing authority’s decision about their eligibility should be referred to a specialist housing adviser.

Young people ineligible for assistance from the housing department may be eligible for assistance from children’s services. If they are actual or failed asylum seekers, they may be eligible for help from the Home Office.

See Shelter Legal: Eligibility: non-EEA/EU nationals and Eligibility: EEA/EU nationals and British nationals