The NHAS is funded by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government to provide free training, expert consultancy advice and information resources to organisations that provide some level of housing or homelessness related advice (or debt and welfare benefits advice where it is impacting on housing situation) to their service users. The specific types of organisations who are eligible to use our services are:Local Authorities, local citizens advice and public authorities.
All local authority staff are automatically eligible for our services. Some examples of the types of local authority teams that use our services include:
• Housing Options Teams
• Reviewing Officers
• Allocations Teams
• Social Service Departments
Sometimes referred to as ‘Public Bodies’ or ‘Statutory Agencies’, all public authority staff are automatically eligible for our services. Some examples of the types of the public authority teams that use our services include:
• Young offender institutions
• Secure training centres
• Secure colleges
• Youth offending teams
• Probation services (including community rehabilitation companies)
• Jobcentres in England
• Social service authorities (both adult and children’s)
• Emergency departments
• Urgent treatment centres
• Hospitals in their function of providing inpatient care
• Secretary of State for defence in relation to members of the regular armed forces
• Although there is a focus on those teams with a Duty to Refer, anyone working within the NHS, Prisons, Probations or JCP is welcome to access and use our services
All local Citizen’s Advice are automatically eligible for NHAS services.
Other voluntary agencies are not automatically eligible for our services. Some examples of the types of voluntary organisations who are eligible to access NHAS include:
• Law Centres
• Domestic Abuse Agencies (local and national)
• Student Advice Centres
• Advice Agencies working with specific groups (e.g. BAME, LGBTQ+, Young People, Ex-Offenders, Ex-Services Personnel etc.)
• Other generalist or specialist local housing, debt and benefits advice agencies
• Other generalist or national housing, debt and benefits advice agencies
This list is not exhaustive – please contact us if you are unsure if your organisation is eligible.
We regret that we cannot provide our services to private organisations, or those which charge fees to their clients for the advice or services they receive.