Member Sign-in

Please note this login gives you access to resources on this website only. If you want to book training, please log onto the training portal here.

Forgotten your username or password? e-mail us

National Homeless Advice Service

Young parents

A wide range of health and support services is available to support young mothers or teenagers who are pregnant.

Young parents who are homeless may be entitled to additional support from their local authority. For more information, see the page on priority need.

Young looked-after parents

If a young parent is provided with accommodation by children’s services and becomes a ‘looked -after’ child, it does not follow that their child will also be in the care of children’s services. This will depend on an assessment the needs of the infant.

Guidance - Provision of Accommodation for 16 and 17 year old young people who may be homeless and/or require accommodation

Back to top

Local authority homelessness duties

The council should consider any pregnant woman to be in priority need and, if homeless or about to become homeless, entitled to emergency temporary accommodation. See the section Applying as homeless.


Some local authorities (and partner organisations) can provide specialised accommodation for young mothers to enable them to live independently while at the same time receive support and advice. Some will cater for members of a particular community, such as black and ethnic minority women, or clients with more challenging support needs, such as women with substance abuse issues and ex-offenders.

NHS Devon Partnership - mother and baby unit

Ekaya Supported Housing

Sanctuary supported living - young parents


Local authorities and local housing providers will also provide ‘one-stop-shop’ support for pregnant teenagers, often through dedicated websites and advice services.

Good practice - Teen Wirral: Young parents’ advice and support

Back to top

Involving fathers

Help and advice is also available to support teenage fathers.

Family Rights Group - where to get help and support

Back to top

Pregnancy and childcare in prison

Young women who are due to give birth while in custody may be able to apply for a space in a mother and baby unit when they enter prison. These are dedicated facilities in a separate part of the prison, where a mother can keep her baby with her for the first 18 months.

Gov.uk - Pregnancy and childcare in prison

Back to top

Pregnancy and health

Young women who think they may be pregnant should visit their GP, family planning clinic or young people’s contraceptive service as soon as possible for further advice and information.

NHS - Teenage pregnancy support

Most local authority websites will have information signposting to services in their region.

Find your Family Information Service

Back to top

Benefits information

Additional benefits will be available to pregnant young people. Those on a low income and in receipt of other benefits such as JSA can apply for a Sure Start Maternity Grant, which is a one-off payment of £500 to help towards the cost of maternity and baby items, and which does not have to be paid back. Pregnant women who are working may also be entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP).
Gov.uk - Sure Start Maternity Grant

Gov.uk - Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP)

Gingerbread - Advice for young single parents

Gingerbread - benefits calculator

Back to top


If a pupil cannot attend school because of pregnancy, the local education authority still has a duty to provide suitable alternative education. Schools are not permitted to use pregnancy or health and safety concerns as a reason for exclusion. Schools should keep young mothers on the school roll, even if they may not be able to attend for a while (a period of 18 weeks authorised absence can be arranged to cover the school time missed just before and after the birth of the child. Some education authorities will provide tuition during this period).

The school should also work with young mothers to find a suitable time to re-integrate them back into school, and should also support male pupils who become fathers while still at school to help them continue their education. Some local authorities may also be able to provide a place at a Young Mum’s unit or similar, where childcare is provided to support young parents to continue their studies. These units work in partnership with local schools and follow the GCSE curriculum.

Good practice - Dorset: Education and Support for Pregnant Students and School Age Parents

Moat House - Pupil Referral Unit for teenage mothers

Back to top

Training and employment

Local authorities have specialist services, often as part of children’s centres or young parents’ groups or similar, or offered by partner organisations such as Connexions or the YMCA, to assist young parents into further education, training and employment.

Connexions Guide for Young Mums

DfE - Policy: Increasing opportunities for young people and helping them to achieve their potential

Support is also available through the government’s Care to Learn scheme, which could pay up to £160 per child per week (up to £175 for young people living in London) towards childcare and travel costs while a young person is learning.

Gov.uk - Care to Learn

Back to top

Sub Menu